This meditation is a very simple to learn and easy to practice in any situation when you need to feel focused, calm, and present. I find that it is an excellent way to begin each day.
1. Begin by finding a quiet space where you will not be disturbed. Sit down in a comfortable chair that allows your back to be straight with your feet on the floor.
2. With your hands folded gently in your lap, close your eyes and take a few moments to breathe. Allow your breaths to be both quiet and full–somewhat like the breaths of the deep sleep state.
3. As you begin to more fully relax, notice that your breath originates in the center of your chest. Imagine a light there that grows brighter with every breath you take.
4. As this light grows brighter, see it also expanding to fill your entire body –growing ever brighter.
5. Your radiant body is a gift of the stars.
6. Exploding novas seeded the cosmos with all the elements to make you and the body of our beautiful planet. All the iron, calcium, oxygen and other elements are gifts from the stars. This gift is what you inhabit while you are embodied. You are a divine radiance wrapped in star-stuff!
7. Allow your light to expand so that your physical body is enfolded in light. Your spirit –your light–completely surrounds your body. This is your true state of being.
8. Your entire being is full, rich, radiant, beautiful, and divine.
9. While continuing to breathe notice how your radiant body is connected to the radiant body of the Earth.
10. Your body moves within the atmosphere of our planet. You live by swimming through her air with your feet touching her body. Your body is held by your light and is always cradled by the Earth.
11. Allow yourself to reach out even further and feel how the Sun’s radiance embraces the Earth as she embraces you in her loving warmth. Allow all your senses to be fully enlivened by this nurturance.
12. You are an embodied Light–a divine and magnificent aspect of the All That Is–made manifest by your physicality–always connected to the Earth and All That Is.
13. Breathe in the depth of this radiant, loving connection and allow it to bring you to a peaceful and fully enlivened state of being.
14. When you feel full of this experience–clasp your folded hands tightly together. As you are doing this, recall the sensations of being fully enlivened and cradled by the Earth –completely peaceful.
15. Whenever you wish you will be able to attain this fully embodied state by repeating this symbolic gesture with your hands.
16. Now, gently release your hands and allow yourself to slowly return your attention to the room in which you are sitting. Take a full, deep, sighing breath and gently open your eyes.
When you feel ready, you may wish to make notes about what you experienced while doing this meditation. Take time to record all that you felt, saw and heard.
If you experienced difficulty visualizing or feeling the light at your heart center, don’t worry. Sometimes it can take some time to move the consciousness down into the body and into the heart. This is especially true when we are used being in our heads or being out of our body as a protection. Those wonderfully ingenious strategies that may have helped us survive when we were younger can interfere with us being able to thrive as an adult. However, with practice you will be able to move through to a heart-centered experience.
If, on the other hand, you feel foggy, confused, or lightheaded after this meditation, it means you need to practice grounding yourself. Some easy ways include:
• Eating a light snack
• Spending time outdoors-especially in a natural setting (with grass, trees, ocean or by a river)
• Doing something with your hands–making something, touching stones, playing in water or digging in dirt.
• Sitting on the ground with your back up against a tree
• Breathing with a focus on the soles of your feet–feel them touching the inside of your shoes or the ground
• Imagining roots coming from the bottom of your feet into the ground to firmly tie you to the core of the earth.
• Listening to whatever music makes you want to dance–and DANCE!
Above all, please be gentle with yourself–especially if you feel like your experience with the meditation feels difficult. You are in the process of transforming! This is something that is best done with a loving patience and a gentle persistence. Over time, a kind of softening begins to occur whereby the new way of being becomes gradually easier. Practice this meditation daily until you are able to attain this state of being more easily.
Nationally recognized shaman teacher/healer, speaker, and author of Modern Shamanic Living: New Explorations of an Ancient Path, Evelyn C. Rysdyk delights in supporting people to remember their sacred place in All That Is. Whether through face-to-face contact with individual patients, workshop groups and conference participants, or through the printed word–Evelyn uses her loving humor and passion to open people’s hearts and inspire them to live more joyful, fulfilling and purposeful lives. In joint practice with Allie Knowlton as Spirit Passages, her web site is http://www.spiritpassages.com.
* This meditation is from her book (working title) Spirit Walking: A Course in Shamanic Power.